Monday, January 8, 2007

AAAGH! My Arse!!


Mon Jan 8, 2007

Quzqo had a bad case of the Airhead Arabians yesterday (I should have been suspicious when he dramatically spooked in the cross-ties because a KITTY walked in the barn door!!). Took him on a trail ride near the woods behind the barn, and although he was acting goosey and snorting, I chalked it up to him not being ridden in 2 weeks.

Suddenly without warning (isn't it always), he SHOOTS out from under me in a galloping surge, I go UP in the air and come down HARD on the cantle of the saddle, and proceed to be bounced on the cantle for 2 or 3 more strides before I was able to get my butt back in the seat, and slow Himself down with a one-reined stop!

Goofy boyo had spooked at (and spooked) about half a dozen whitetail deer in the woods! Goofy horser!! I was laughing and cursing because I'd come down HARD on my tailbone and it HURT! GAAAH!

It's pretty sore today, sure hope I didn't break it (again)....last time I broke it was trotting on Tezlu bareback...Yikes!

Well, glad one of us is feeling 110%!!

I can see why war saddles have VERY high cantles though...to keep you IN the saddle instead of bouncing out the back, LOL! To think, I'd pondered using my treeless saddle yesterday (the cantle is about 2" high)...I'da been sitting on the ground, watching the horse disappear over the hillside if that was the case!

Tezlu used to spook in 180 degree spins... Quzqo seems to prefer the "lunge forward with amazing speed" route.

One of the teen girls yesterday told me that the horse was pretty much running wild in the pasture all morning, harassing and playing with the other geldings! I'd love to have seen that, LOL! He's probably worn out by the time I get there, which is why I usually get the draggy-assed old plowhorse routine from him.


Here's a pic of a cool old outhouse on the property adjoining the barn's land. I'd snapped this photo JUST seconds before he spooked! At least I got a nice photo out of it.

No comments: