Thursday, February 16, 2006

A Good Winter Storm Interlude

Thu Feb 16, 2006

Buggered out of work an hour early, an hour LATER than most my co-workers...the idjits all panicked and took off at the WORST part of the snowstorm...with 1/8th of a mile visibility, LOL! I'd checked the Weather Channel web site, and there was a HUGE clear patch heading our way, so I waited an hour, and sure enough, the snow all but stopped around 4, so I had a pretty uneventful drive outta town!

After some debate with myself, I ended up going straight to the barn. The drive and parking lot there hadn't been plowed either, and there was easily 8" of snow.

Thank GOD they had brought the horses in early (I thought at first they'd left them in all day, but Quzqo was soaking wet, so he'd obviously been outside for some time)! Place was deserted except for horses and cats and the radio. Fine with me! Coos was glad to see me, and we had a lovely hour or so of "quality time"...he was just so cute and lippy and interested and Mr. Pocket Pony Adorable! Brushed him, turned him loose in the round pen, but couldn't get more than a trot out of him. I hadn't planned to ride, but he was SO "interested" in whatever I was doing, and pretty much "asking" for more interaction, "please don't put me back in the stall! Let's DO something!" Ended up riding him with just the halter and some reins clipped to the bottom ring, and man, was he ever GOOD! I had him jog-trotting so nice, and backing, hoo-dawg, we talkin' BACKING...with leg pressure and the LIGHTEST rein-twitching! He even tucked his head all on his own!!!

We even ended up doing some ground work, mostly Showmanship practice, then I ended up braiding his tail & wrapping it back up, because he's managed to get the bottom third FILTHY just from the dirt he kicks up when he runs, so, guess that needs to stay put up until Spring, *sigh*.

Got a lot done in 2 hours! Wish I could do that every day, but not until Spring/Summer when I can leave the dogs in the garage/dog pen, otherwise I'd have to clean up messes when I got home at 7 p.m.

Tonight was supposedly our Ladies' Riding Lesson, but I obviously am not participating. Too stormy out, maybe next week. Get some more advice from the trainer that I can ultimately ignore, ha!

No comments: