Sunday, October 17, 2004

More Mindless Adorations of My Horse

Sun Oct 17, 2004

What WON'T that horse do???

All this talk about bitless bridles and riding with halters got me inspired, and since Quzqo was acting very "I don't wanna do anything" this afternoon (I think it's the weather...high of 40, constant rain & wind, the horses were inside all day), I snapped a pair of split reins to his halter, and rode him thus!

He did VERY good, but I didn't notice any additional "softness" or rounding compared to riding with the snaffle...his stops were just as nice, his steering was just as bad (lol)...but it did help remind me to use my legs and seat more than my hands...he's getting real good at responding to leg and seat bone pressure lately..thank goodness!

Tried backing him, and the first time he tucked his head and backed right up two steps!! Huzzah! But that was a fluke, because from then on he wasn't having anything to do with it and was acting a big a dork as if he had a bit in his mouth...raising his head, refusing to back, hollowing his back, resentfully stepping half a step MAYBE, LOL. Eh, we'll work on it.

BUT...the Big Thing...CANTERING! Yes, I got him cantering!!! A sharp jab with the outside heel, inside rein lain across the neck, shift the weight, and away he goes! He got so worked up with the repeated cues that he started taking off without me asking him to, LOL!! Not bad with no bit!

Now I'm wondering if I should buy a bitless bridle...Hmmm....

It got more interesting when we went outside (40 degrees, 20 mph winds, light drizzle) for a quickie trail ride. I use a 5 gallon bucket as a mounting block, got up on him, he started moving and knocked the bucket over, flipping it right-side up...and promptly (don't ask me HOW) stuck his right foreleg IN the bucket! We stood there, the horse with a leg in a bucket...calm, quiet, not the least bit concerned. I moved him forward, he stepped OUT of the bucket and away we went! LOL!

Wish someone had a camera, that woulda been a picture!

And yes, Quzqo is STILL an Arabian. Hard to believe some times!

I did get him cantering out along the fenceline for a couple hundred yards! Uphill...Okay, I did chicken out and put his bridle on for the trail ride, he was having a little trouble slowing down with the halter inside, call me timid, I won't deny (okay, how about "cautious", that's a better term)

My farrier was at the barn, working his horses, and complemented (in a left-handed fashion) about what a nice horse Quzqo is...this is the guy who called Tezlu "The Old Turd" mind you...guess Quzqo has been perfectly angelic with him as well, for trimming & shoeing...good to keep on the farrier's good side after all!

Oh, yes, his lameness of yesterday had disappeared...thank goodness!

No comments: