Friday, March 24, 2006

Quzqo Drinks!

Fri Mar 24, 2006

Tonight after work Coos and I visited the water trough, and I KNEW he was thirsty (mostly because he made a dive for a muddy puddle, but I wouldn't let him!). So we came up to the trough, and I got him as close as I could (his legs about 3 feet away from the trough), and I crouched over the water and played and splashed my hand in it (the level was down 2/3, so it was actually pleasantly tepid from the tank heater on the bottom), and splashed it up to his muzzle, and cooed and cajoled and praised and soothed...slowly....slowly his head lowered.... lower...lower...to the level of the tank, but he didn't want to put it IN the tank...I fladdled more water up on his lips, and after some hesitation, he lowered it into the tank, got about 6" from the actual water surface, about 1/4" of pink tongue comes out from between his lips...he slowly (painfully so) lowered his head another inch...the tongue came out...and started lapping at the air above the water! BWAHAHAHAAA...I tried to not laugh TOO loudly, that poor pathetic thirsty horse...after half a minute or so, he tentatively lowered his head more and made contact with the surface of the water!

He drank...and drank and drank and drank and drank...the second he touched the water, he was done for, there's no way he could have stopped drinking, he was SO thirsty! I swear, the level of the tank went down an inch, easily! He drank and drank and drank and drank some more! Poor guy! Finally he came up for air, raising his head and swallowing...looked around a bit, then without hesitation lowered his head back to the water and drank and drank and drank some more! HOORAH!!!!

I'm SO pleased!! Of course once he was finished, he was like "oh, hey, yeah, no big deal, I knew it was safe, oh, yeah", LOL!

What a goof!

No comments: