Friday, January 7, 2005

Quzqo VS The Killer Belgians, Part II

Fri Jan 7, 2005

When I stopped out there last night, I was relieved to see both the Belgians tied up in the indoor arena...which meant I could get Quzqo in peace. I did see the owner and told him what happened the day before, he chuckles and said "Well, that mare IS really protective"...uh-huh (then I did see that one Belgian was a mare, the other a gelding...guess we can guess which one was doing all the "protecting")

So I go out to get the horse, who once again I got to walk back with me without lead or halter (just a constantly-crinkling peppermint wrapper!)...and a young Foundation QH named "Wyatt" followed along...and THEN I see, coming up the aisleway between the fences...the Belgians! Aarrrgh! They'd thoughtfully turned them out for the night...

Now the only way out was blocked by two huge horsey masses, slowly lumbering up the hill...Quzqo and Wyatt both stopped in their tracks BEHIND me, ears pricked, tense...watching...(behind me...LOL). I quickly got the halter & lead on Quzqo, didn't want him running off...the drafters took their time, stopping repeatedly to stare at us...finally they came up and came right towards us (ears forward). No thanks...once again I had to "HOOHAAAAAH" & fling the lead rope at 'em...they weren't so quick to leave, but they did eventually, and I was surprised to see Wyatt tag along after them like a kid brother. They just ambled on down the fenceline perpendicular to the rest of the horses, and ended up kinda hanging out by themselves, with Wyatt. Maybe they made a friend, or Wyatt, being a dork, figured to cast his lot with them for protection, LOL!

That pasture is big enough and there's enough haypiles, I imagine the Belgians will just form their own little "herd" and be fine. There's 3 "herds" in that pasture already...unfortunately Quzqo is a member of the Dork Herd, LOL...with Wyatt & a grey QH gelding named Colby. But that's just fine. At least it seems he's the Head Dork of that little herd.

No comments: