Monday, August 25, 2008

My New Old Saddle!

Went to an estate sale this weekend in a nearby town, the ad stated "old horse tack". You never know what you'll find so I went!

Well now, when they said "old", they meant OLD, as in Antique! I couldn't resist, even though it about emptied my checking account (but still, under $300), this old beauty definitely from the 1900's or earlier!!!

Of course there's no maker's marks on it, which means it might be from Sears & Roebuck, according to my minimal research. Its condition is amazing...just a few scuffies, NO rot, NO mold, just a bit of cracking on the fenders...I still can't believe it!












Look at the amazing detail on this thing though...I love the leather-wrapped rings for the cinch...
















And the neat detailing on the back (yes, even the sheepskin underside is in very good condition!)














Obviously (to me) machine-embossed decoration, which really makes me think it's mass-produced for Sears Roebuck. But definitely old... lots of green oxidation on the rivets there.












Neat rawhide detailing on the pommel. Even the horn is in excellent shape with not one missing stitch! Now THAT is rare!!























Of course Quzqo had to model it! It fit him perfectly...I guess they had smaller horses back in the 19th Century. He looks rather pleased with himself for some reason.

















I took him for a short trail ride around the property...it was more than obvious that the stirrups were too long, and the seat is amazingly hard (as in rock hard!). But talk about secure, LOL...with that high cantle and pommel, I don't see how anyone could fall out!

The next day I took it back home, and shortened the stirrups "one notch", which in this case, is about 3". Unfortunately my legs wanted it shortened only 2", so the next ride I took was even more uncomfortable (but much more secure!). It took four days for my broken ankle to quit hurting...no thanks!

Now I suppose I could drill holes so I could make the stirrups the proper length, but I'm hesitant to do anything to it which would ruin its "mint condition"! Like, would I ever really ride with it? I hate the horn...I ride with a hornless trail saddle for a reason. I suppose maybe SOMEday Quzqo will do a proper Western Pleasure class and I'd need a proper Western saddle (after I spend $500/month to get him professionally trained)(and we'd still be beaten by all the stock breeds up here). Or maybe I will eventually put it on eBay and hopefully get the $1000.00 it's obviously worth. Or maybe I'll just keep it and enjoy looking at it, because it is darned neat looking. And then it can be sold at MY Estate Sale...and they'll wonder why it's in such good shape!

No comments: