Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Today is Blog Action Day 08

Today is some feel-good foolery where everyone with a Blog is supposed to post on "Poverty". http://blogactionday.org/

Only because I don't have anything better to do, I'll play along. I've boarded horses for nearly 20 years, so that means I've paid board every month for 240 months. The first board I paid was only $165/mo. Today's board is $300/mo. Taking an average it comes out to $220/mo. Multiply that by 240, and I've spent roughly $52,800 paying for my horses' room and board! That's not counting farriers, veterinary, tack, treats, carrots and Starlight mints!

When I first bought my old horse, Tezlu, I was reprimanded by my yuppy brother about "wasting" money, how the horse would never increase in value, and it'd be a wiser choice to invest that $2000 I spent on Tezzer into Mutual Funds. Well, maybe that was true for a while, but considering today's market, I think I've broken even...if the $$ was in the market, it'd be worth nothing, and since Tezlu is pushing up Canadian Thistle, well...he's not increasing in value.

Anyway, I don't know where this is going actually. I could be richer if I didn't have board to pay every month, but we all know riches can't be counted monetarily, and spending that nearly $53,000 is proof that you CAN buy happiness!

We return you to your previously-scheduled self-loathing about how you have so much and others live in poverty!

1 comment:

h said...

Now, THAT is an original take on the theme. Kudos!