Monday, February 2, 2009

Some Thoughts on $100 Horses

These days the talk is all about how people are ditching their horses at auctions, and reading those reports, I automatically get a twinge, feeling sorry for those horses that were sold for ridiculously low prices. Many years ago I went to a regional horse auction, and it just tore my heart to see those sad beasties in cramped pens, and it was worse watching them be sold (or not sold).

Nowadays you see an auction report, and read about beautiful young horses going for next to nothing...of course you imagine they're heading straight to some Frenchman's dinner plate or worse.

But yesterday it dawned on me. Quzqo cost $100 at auction, and look where he ended up. Now I know not every cheap auction nag (even skinny, dirty, 6 yr old untrained Arabians) is going to end up as a fat spoiled peppermint addict who rides and drives, but still, it might not end up so bad for those horses after all. One can only hope.

No comments: