Friday, March 20, 2009

Dealing with Non-Believers

My neighbor is a very outgoing social sort of gal, and is forever inviting me hither and yon for this speaker's presentation or this art gallery show or this concert or this "women's event" (sorry, I gave those up back in the '80's when my subscription to "Ms" ran out). This Sunday will be a once-in-a-lifetime open house event at some new eatery downtown with hors d'oeuvres and wine tastings and probably a heaping helping of snobbery and pontificating blathering. Yeah, she invited me along.

This Sunday also will be the first day this YEAR where the roadsides will be clear of snow and slush, and it'll be sunny, and dry, and temperatures in the low 50's, and I've been dreaming all week of taking Quzqo out for a drive on the roads...outdoors! In the fresh air! With firm footing and we will be able to go more than 100 feet before having to turn a corner. He even got shoes put on his front feet yesterday in preparation for our driving and trail riding adventures to come!

Gee...which do you think I'd rather do?

I tried to explain this to my neighbor, and I could see her glazed, uncomprehending look, even over the telephone... how could anyone prefer to do something with a big smelly horse rather than enjoy tea sandwiches and fine wines in a posh downtown eatery on a Sunday afternoon?

It'd be impossible to really explain, how I prefer the smell of horse manure over merlot fumes, I'd rather run my fingers through a fuzzy fur coat still attached to a single-toed beastie that nickers on one end and farts out the other, than a fur coat on a hanger in a fancy store. My non-existent manicure probably has horse dirt under the nails, because $30 will buy a hoof trim for the horse rather than acrylic nails for myself.

It's probably not worth the bother to try to explain. They'll never understand, but I understand, and you probably understand as well.

================================

Addendum: Well, this idiot overdid it on Saturday and swilled half a bottle of Chardonnay, and thus woke up with the Migraine/Hangover from HELL on Sunday! So I never got out to the barn to drive or ride or much of anything, instead spending my day shivering in bed wishing for death. Well, there's always next weekend...

No comments: