Monday, June 1, 2009

Things Aren't So Bad

Y'know, I was actually kind of traumatized by that Memorial Day weekend trail ride. I'll admit now that my confidence in Quzqo has been shaken, and I can't quite trust him like I used to. I don't know if it's ME who has messed HIM up, or visa-versa; he seems to be getting worse the older he gets, more spooky, more jumpy. Maybe it's my fault in that he needs to be ridden more, needs to get out and about more. He needs to be more a Horse of the World, and not limited to the comfortable and familiar surroundings of his pasture and his stall.

At least that's how I felt until Memorial Day weekend. I was mowing my lawn (it needed it), and I happened to glance up just as a neighbor rode past my yard on a bay horse. I'll admit I couldn't quite identify the gait, as it seemed to be walking, trotting and pacing all at once, with its back hollowed and head held high and tail wringing, and the woman riding (no helmet, for shame!) had a grim expression, and neither party seemed to be enjoying themselves.

I don't know if my mower upset the horse (It would have upset Quzqo!), but watching that woman and her high-headed hollow-backed mystery-gaiting horse clipclop down the road made me realize that my horse isn't THAT bad after all. He'd more likely than not go trotting down the road, head level, tail still, long ground-eating stride, and he might shy sideways at the trot at a lawnmower, but keep moving forward willingly (especially if he knew he was heading home).

For all his faults, and all of mine, I think he's actually a pretty good horse, and I don't have it all THAT bad, all things considered.

No comments: