Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bucked Off Back Into Love

It's been 11 days or so since I got bucked off, and I can ALMOST walk without pain, the bruises and scabs are fading, the rope burn on my finger is scabbed over nicely, why, there's almost no limp, almost!

Managed to get out to check on the horse only a couple of times because, well, it hurt like bloody hell to walk or bend over to pick up a curry comb or brush, and let's just say Quzqo hasn't been my most favorite horse in the world recently.

Yesterday I stopped by after work, and enjoyed a 3/4 mile hike out into the pasture to catch him and bring him back to the barn, my sciatica was singing "Ave Maria" in a not-nice way by the time we returned, but I was able to ignore the pain by fixating on the amazing 3-4" long bloody scrape/cut Quzqo now sports on his left fore knee!!

Can't say when that happened, probably that morning, judging from the cleanliness of the wound, and the amount of dried blood encrusted on the front of his cannon. But it didn't look deep, it was dry, no swelling, no limp (lucky horse), so I washed off the dried stuff while he bent down and mashed his goobery wet horse lips into the top of my head.

Today I stopped out, feeling much better sciatica-wise, and happily he was close in by the gate, so no hike up and down the hilltops. The leg was pretty much unchanged, and while I bent down to poke and prod, I felt those big, warm, goobery wet horse lips nibbling on my good work shirt on my back..

He's been acting like a sad puppy these past two days, maybe he is in pain (welcome to the club, buddy), but he's back to being that Quzqo I fell in love with on Day One. Mr. Pocket Pony, all sweet and cute and nibbly (I know, nibbling is bad horse manners), arching his neck and peering at me through his forelock with those big chocolate brown eyes...I melted like a starlite mint on a hot summer day.

He's back to being my Big Ole' Guy, my Cutey-kins, my Mr. Cute-iful. He didn't mean to throw me into the hard packed gravel driveway from a height of 6 feet, causing me 11 days of constant pain, no, and I gave him a big hug, careful to keep my feet away from his hooves, and making sure nothing was around to make him spook and throw me into the wall. He's my horse, and though others may think I'm insane for not selling him and taking up a safer pasttime, like hang gliding, I don't care. He's my boy!

No comments: