Saturday, March 5, 2005

Cantering Does Not Lead To Weight Loss

Sat Mar 5, 2005

I haven't written about Himself in quite a while, frankly because I haven't done anything with him for quite a while! In fact it's been a week & half since I rode the little goober at all!

Beautiful sunny day out there, temps around 40, still a couple of feet of snow on the ground though. Quzqo was way out in the field at a big pile of hay, but put up no protest when I brought him in, he just calmy do-bopped along behind me on the rope. He was extraordinarily mellow and friendly...maybe it pays to not ride him too often, eh? He even allowed me to put his spint boots on without causing a fuss, and he about sucked the bit into his mouth on his own!

I rode him English with his Dee ring snaffle & the running martingale, our biggest problem was motivation! That boy did NOT want to move! It might have been that it was "warm", and he's FAT, and it was sort of a drowsy sunny day out there...when the horse is yawning BEFORE you ride him, that's a clue! But I know better than to judge a horse by his cover, the little dink was full of energy, he just didn't want to use any of it! We did a lot of bending and circles, then sitting trot (which in itself is an achievement! Rarely can I get him to go slow enough that I can sit the trot), plenty of posting trotting, and...cantering!! I can now say his training re: the cues for the canter is complete! I can get him into a NICE canter from a standstill with just the one heel now...no more need for exaggerated cues or making him trot until he breaks into a canter...he knows what I want and responds! Both directions!! Huzzah! Got him into a couple of sweet canters, very balanced and nicccceeee! No extended cantering, because there was a married couple and their horses aimlessly meandering around the arena, basically getting in my way...I'll be so glad when the snow is gone and I can ride him in the outdoor arena! More room!

Confidently I could say today, I could canter him safely out in the hayfield without him tearing off with me, LOL!

Found a flier up in the viewing room, the regional horse club is sponsoring a Seminar, Tack Sale & Horse Auction at the barn on April 2nd!! They're getting a pair of trainers from downstate to work with people and their horses...hey, sign me up!!! If only to get an outside opinion that I'm doing all right with the little guy, considering!

And, I found a photo I took of Quzqo last Spring...and thought you might get some amusement comparing him to "now", LOL! I'm going to make up a gag poster with these pix for the barn..."The Windsonnet Diet", ha! Little fuzzy tubby! Even his butt looks rounder! (and that ain't ALL hair, believe me!)

No comments: