Sunday, May 13, 2007

A Day At The Horse Show

Sun May 13, 2007

Well, yesterday morn bright and early Coos and I (and 3 other people and another horse) drove 2+ hours Up North to Gaylord, Michigan for the first in a series of 6 open shows held at the fairgrounds! We didn't even get lost like last year, only had a tire go nearly flat, not entirely (like last year), and had to go through a 17 mile detour, so we arrived 30 minutes after the show started. Good, I didn't want to do Showmanship anyway!

Of course only in the light of daytime can one truly appreciate just how many green spots and poo stains and pee encrustations one's nearly-white Arabian had accumulated during the night, even wearing a sleezy AND a day sheet...why, he even had green smears in his MANE and along his right cheek! That Cowboy Magic green spot remover does the trick...so did some of that blue shampoo...and finally, a light coating of French White Chalk over the stubborn parts!!

We won Pleasure Type Geldings! WhooHOOO! Of course there were only 2 entries, and one didn't show, so we won by default, but oh well, that's how Coos generally wins any halter classes, heh heh!

We got to go into the show-back for Overall Halter Champion...normally they divide it up by Stock Type and Pleasure Type, but not this show, so the one Arabian amidst a sea of Paints and QHs didn't stand a chance.

Then...PANIC TIME!! There was only a 15 minute tack change between the halter showback and Pleasure Driving! We RAN back to the trailer, I'd laid out the harness ahead of time, the cart was in position, my helpers were walking our way! I slipped the show halter off and put the lead around his neck, grabbed the black nylon halter...just that instant Coos put his head down to snatch some grass, stepped forward, stepped on the dangling end of the lead, pulled back and PANICKED...he reared backwards, smashing into me...I lost my balance, toppled backwards into the side of the trailer, careened sideways...I FELT my leg snap, and I hit the ground HARD...my hat flew off, my glasses too, and all I could do is lay there SCREAMING "FUCK FUCK FUCK MY LEG MY FUCKING LEEEGGGGG!!!"


Long story short, I've broken my right tibia and fibula in THREE places, and spent the day in the Otsego County Hospital, which luckily was right next door to the fairgrounds. They caught Quzqo and put him in a box stall, and my friend's Paint mare spent the day tied to the trailer with lots of hay and water, so they got to enjoy a lovely day of relaxation, I got to enjoy my first ever morphine experience, and my friend who, bless her heart, gave up her showing day to stay with me.

They were going to do surgery that very day, but that'd mean I'd have to stay 2-3 days in the hospital 100 miles from home...no thanks. Then they offered to arrange for transport to the local hospital...ha, can you imagine THAT ambulance bill!! (I hate to think what the 400 yard trip from the fairgrounds to the hospital will cost...they couldn't even start an IV because my veins are so tiny)(I should get a partial refund!). Finally they called the local hospital, and tomorrow (Monday) I go in to have this taken care of, and I got to ride home lengthwise in the back seat of a car, dozing in a lovely morphine haze.

Not in a lot of pain, with my temporary splint and Vicodan Rx, it's been a challenge to learn to use crutches (never had to use them in my 48 years!). My neighbor is taking care of the chickens for me, and my brother will take the dogs tomorrow & drive me in to town.

Mr.Quzqo has earned himself a 6 week or so vacation, the little shit!

I'm just SO damned disappointed that I didn't get to go into Pleasure Driving...that was a sweet arena up there!

No comments: