Wednesday, September 1, 2004

Gravity is a Harsh Mistress

Wed Sep 1, 2004

I haven't ridden English since last Fall, I'd forgotten how comfy my huntseat saddle is! (just a synthetic jumping saddle, bought in Wisconsin in 1995 at a used tack sale for $135.00). Cusco didn't seem to mind it either (it was one of the saddles that Tez could tolerate with his achey withers/back too). I also put Tez's English Show Bridle on Quzqo (adjusted to the smallest it would go), and he looked good in it! We did some walking and circles, some softening and backing (okay, one step, but still...), then some trotting, and he did pretty good...kinda sluggish because he'd had his dinner and figured his day was over, so he did as little as possible, LOL! With the help of Mr. Whip he got movin' though (I just have to carry it, don't have to do anything else!).

Luckily riding and posting doesn't bother my knee, it's only when I get off that I hobble around, ha! Gravity is a harsh mistress (--"The Tick")

Anyway, we rode outside and into the outdoor arena, which has been harrowed in preparation for the show this weekend. He got a little spooky over some lawn chairs by the rail (outside), but other than that, did very well, and got him trotting a couple times all the way around! THAT is an achievement for Mr. Lazy-Butt! We might be able to actually do the class this weekend!

I have a black w/white trim saddle cloth, which looks very sharp with his grey coloring...think I'll do his mane up in a French braid too, didn't see anything that fancy done at the previous shows around this area. Considering how wacky the green horses acted the other weekend, I think we might do all right (hopefully he won't start bucking like that one green Arabian, LOL!)

Better stock up on Motrin!

No comments: