Sunday, August 22, 2004

The Horse Show, Day Two - Sue Injures Her Knee!

Sun Aug 22, 2004

Quzqo is SO Sweet! As sweet as a serpent. I rode Himself yesterday afternoon with some damned fool idea of MAYBE taking him into Green Horse Pleasure today (walk/trot). Little practice session in the indoor arena. Even gave him his evening grain beforehand so he'd be happy. But they left the fenced-off end of the arena where the hay is stored OPEN, and The Emperor wanted THAT, to hell with the monkey on his back...so he became a total retard (think of the "real" Emperor Kuzco before his llama transformation)...SOMEhow we ended up between two sections of pipe fencing that made a "v" shape, of course he wouldn't even consider backing out for me, just tossed his head, resisted, REARED...just as a big truck hauling a bigger trailer of sawdust pulled into the dooryard...all I could think is them coming into the arena with that thing, freaking the horse as I was basically trapped...somehow during all this I wrenched my knee and vaguely remember thinking "ow".

I ended up getting off (in a dangerously cramped space but better than the horse flipping over), and MADE His Highness back the hell up (with the use of Mr. Whip to Mr. Quzqo's chestal region), got back on his Imperial back, and rode him down to watch the horse show and fume. He enjoyed that, the standing still and observing the goings ons...and he WAS...his head was going side-to-side, like he was watching a tennis match, LOL!

Gave up, threw him in his stall, and left early all disgusted and discouraged and depressed.

And this morning I can barely walk! The pain in my left knee is ASTOUNDING! I even had to dig out my mom's old cane to hobble around! I've scarfed some Xtra-strength Motrin, see how that works...I've got 4 hours...if I can't walk, I obviously can't show Himself in Halter. No big loss. But my Grand-niece will be wanting to do Leadline...I figure her Mom can lead the horse, she's got horse experience, after all, Tezlu dumped her about 3 times!

Later...

Good ole' Vetwrap and double-dosages of Motrin! The pain was mostly gone by the time of our Halter class (around 10:30.) It came back immediatly AFTER the class (the running did it, no doubt).

After throwing a major Prima Donna Drama Queen Hissy Fit about the baby oil on his muzzle and by his eyes, Master Quzqo behaved PERFECTLY well this morning! I got him to set up perfectly in the class, and he had his ears pricked (mostly), and neck arched so nice... It was the same other two horses competing against us as yesterday (Morgan & Arabian with no tail),
and the placings were the same...2nd for Mr. Quzqo (different judge). And diddly in the Showback, durn, but the TWH Mare who took the Champ WAS gorgeous (she was horrible in Trail later in the day, heh heh).

Today was my Grand-Niece's turn at Leadline...she didn't do as well as her older brother, because she was having a major Shy episode...shy of being in front of EVERYONE, the Strange Lady being Judge, she forgot most of what she learned the other day about steering a horse, LOL! She was the only entrant today, so that probably added more pressure. She did manage to turn Quzqo sharply and unexpectedly to the left, which about put a horse in my lap! After many tries she got him to back two steps for the judge...she wasn't about to say anything out loud, just whispering "whoa" and "back" and "giddyup", heh heh...I doubt the horse could even hear her.

The judge (REAL nice lady) asked her some hard horse questions, like what do they like for breakfast. what's his name, how old is he, what breed is he...she only knew his name and that he likes grass for breakfast. So of course the judge had to mess with her mind and suggested he might like pancakes...she wasn't buying ANY of it and told the judge as much, but no, she insisted maybe at night horses go to McDonald's for pancakes...it was funny, this 5 yr old basically doing point-counterpoint with this middle-aged woman...Celine maintained horses wouldn't be able to get out of their stalls because they don't have hands, nor could they drive cars to get to McDonalds...finally the judge conceded the point, and awarded her First
Place!

Unlike my Grand-Nephew yesterday, Celine was bouncing all over, so proud of her big blue rosette, LOL (I did find out that G.J. WAS showing the rosette to anything with eyes yesterday, once he got home...no surprise there). No big mishaps, no big excitement, just Aunt Sue hobbling around and grimacing and trying to not act like her mother, ha!

When I went back out to the barn early this evening to put His Highness in for the night, got some more detail pix for my web site...a beautiful dun was snoozing in the pasture, so I could get some great shots of his back/dorsal stripe.

There's quite a brisk wind...and unfortunately, for a good 50 feet or so walking out to the pasture, you get a pretty strong and distinct odor...as the wind blows over Tezlu's grave. Oh, hoorah. It's pretty covered in rocks, I doubt the coyotes can do much about it, but man O man, the smell...bring on the cold weather!!

Well, will be a long time before anybody forgets about him...you're reminded every time you walk out to the pasture!

No comments: