Sunday, June 5, 2005

What a Little BUGGER!

Sun Jun 5, 2005

They left Quzqo out in the pasture all night (instead of bringing him inside), so he was pretty slow and sloggy, so I didn't bother to lunge him before riding. Plus I figured the upper-80 degree temps and humidity would also keep him slowed down. Well, that was right, up to a point. It seems that 20 mph wind gusts have a very energizing effect on a horse! So much that the exact same route we rode yesterday in a blase' manner, today became The Gauntlet of Horror! The Museum of Equine Predators!!! "Death From The Unknown!!!" Things he walked by yesterday, today he had to jam on the brakes, arch his neck and SNORT, then try to wheel around and disappear!

Fortunately between my two assistant trainers, Mr. Whip and Mr. Martingale, we were able to keep a certain little horse on the straight and narrow (it was narrow too...thick woods/forest on the left, electric fence on the right...no room for hi-jinks!!!)

Got out to the big hayfield and started across to the dirt road. Now, I swear, *I* didn't see a thing, but Quzqo was apparently wearing his Day Vision Goggles, because HE saw the five-headed horse-eating demon jump out of the tall grass...he SLAMMED on the brakes, did a gorgeous 180 degree spin, and started off back towards the barn! But thanks to the afore-mentioned assistant trainers, he didn't get far, and with a good kick to the ribs, we worked our way across the field, stopping every 15-20 feet or so to SPOOK and SPIN and BALK and SNORT! LOL! I tell ya, I WAS laughing my ass off...I had to remind him that I owned TEZLU for 15 years, he has to do better than THAT! It was VERY obvious he was deliberately trying to get out of work (he put up a Drama Queen performance just getting the bit in his mouth!), and after the 5th or 6th attempt to turn back, he gave up, and I swear, that horse was POUTING! Yep, I have a good idea why they neglected him and sent him to auction, LOL!

We turned down the mile-long driveway of a friend (nice lady, boards at the barn, has horses and a MULE at her house, literally next door to the barn), that was filled with half-hearted spookables, once we got into the woods, Quzqo calmed down and seemed okay (probably because there was no wind in the woods). We got to the house, he had to spook at the paddock with the mule in it (lovely red dun saddle mule!), they had a swimming pool set up in the front yard, so that was worrisome! The woman and her daughter were by the pool, I hollered "Hello!", and stood there a minute...hard to believe they didn't see or hear us (I mean, a WHITE horse in their driveway? You'd think you'd notice), but neither one looked our direction, and apparently didn't hear me, so...we left (I've since come to the conclusion that I AM truly invisible, considering the number of people that almost ran me down at the auction yesterday). Cool...Invisa-girl!

Trip back to the barn was shorter, since I let Quzqo do some trotting. We wandered up and down the dirt road a bit too, he was nearly perfect, but worried about the wheeled dumpsters by the roadside. Back to the barn, for some more work in the outdoor arena!

He did VERY good, considering. I was a bit worried, taking him off-property by myself, but we did fine...I was pleased that his constant spooking and spinning and idjit-ness didn't frazzle me one bit. Poor guy was soaking wet when we got back, so he earned himself a quick bath. I've been working with clicker training, and I was so happy to see that using the clicker/treat technique worked in the wash rack as well...normally he'd be high-headed, hairy-eyed near-spazz, or else trying to bite me while I sprayed him...not this time...once he calmed and stood quiet, he got a click and a treat...really made an impression on him, and he did VERY good.

Brains as well as looks!

No comments: