Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Still Having Fun!

Things are still progressing nicely with our new attitude (whip and spurs)! Last night I had NO trouble bridling the horse (warm bit, slack in lead rope!), NO trouble getting on...okay, he did wiggle his butt a few inches to the right, and when I raised the whip up over his rump to get to the right hip to give it a tap, the poor boy flinched and tucked his butt...I gave him a fly's weight of a tap, brought him back up to the mounting block, and he stood good as gold!

Riding was wonderful, he's become SO good...I can't get over being able to just cue him with an outside leg and have him ooze into a wonderful rocking-chair canter, both directions, and he keeps going until I say slow down!! I'm afraid I sort of took advantage of that last night, because when we stopped so I could chat with a friend, my poor horse was PUFFING for breath and actually....SWEATING! LOL! For Quzqo to raise any kind of sweat is noteworthy!!

I can feel his ribs again, so he's lost all his summer flab from his 4 month vacation! Time to add the BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) to his grain, he's gonna be workin' now! Gonna EARN dem Pony Pops!

My friend with the lame Paint mare told me last night that her mare is going to a new home; a veterinarian in Kentucky, and she'll be used to teach young children to ride! That's a great arrangement for the mare...life of ease in Horse Country with un-demanding kiddies riding her. And it'll free up my friend from the guilt and stress of having to maintain a lame horse that she can't afford! Nice when things work out for the better for all parties concerned.

No comments: