Thursday, May 27, 2004

Cusco - Qusqo - Kuzko - Quzqo

Thursday, May 27, 2004

You guys enjoyed my Tezlu stories...now you're getting "Cusco" stories, LOL! Or as it's properly spelled, "Quzqo" (That'd drive any showring announcer insane, wouldn't it?) (I see "Cusco" means "Navel of the Earth"...dunno if that's a proper name for a horse, LOL...a horse that looks like a Llama anyway).

Did go back to the barn tonight, nervous as hell, I'll admit. I was a little taken aback by all the rearing and head-flinging of last night, but compromised with myself to just do groundwork with the lad, that's always a good thing anyway. He was even more mellow than yesterday, and I was able to lead him outside to the outdoor arena. The round pen was a mud wallow (thanks to today's heavy rain), so I figured to just let him do his thing in the main arena. Imagine my surprise when he took off and started cantering around me on the lunge line like a proper, educated horse!!! LOL! So I guess last night's lack-of-lunging-knowledge was due to being in a new place with new humans and not knowing what to do with himself! He cantered like a
perfect gentleman, not yanking me hither and yon (like another horse I could name...Tezlu!) ...trotting nicely, cantering...I did note he has a nice overstep at the trot (hind hoof placed down in front of the hoofprint left by the forehoof). No crazies, no snorts or bucking or wierdiosity!! Lunged him maybe 20 minutes, and he wasn't even winded!! Uh oh!




I'm getting the "vibes" that he's really a lot mellower than I thought he was...I've known a couple of Arabians like that at the old barn we were at, you could almost put them in your pocket, they were such sweeties. I think at this time in my life, I'm due for a sweetie mellow horse.

Bob, the barn owner told me he'd talked to the people he bought the horse from, and they had been riding him in a bosel...at 6 (or 8 or 10)! He sure worked sweet with the snaffle yesterday though. Hmmmm.

I took tomorrow off for a long weekend, so I'll see how he does tomorrow...some lunging, some riding, we'll see. I feel a lot more confident now that I know he's not a wild crazy nutburger. I have to LOL at Bob's warning yesterday that this horse might "have more energy than you want"...he really never knew Tezlu in his prime, LOL. By this time in my relationship with Tezlu I had suffered a broken finger, sprained knee, and numerous scrapes to my hands, LOL!!

God, I sure hope little Quzqo ain't too expensive....he's not registered, so that's a plus...I'll find out this weekend I'm sure..

(One of the barn moms told me tonight she'd put some flowers on Tezzer's grave, I started getting all sniffly and teary...I'm still a mess.)

No comments: