Friday, May 28, 2004

Dying to trim him a bridlepath...

Friday, May 28 2004

His ground manners are heavenly!!! I turned him loose in the indoor ring to romp and play, which he did, ended up by the open doors, I went over to take some pix, and as I walked away, damned if he didn't just tag along like a faithful dog!! Right at my elbow, it was creepy!! He doesn't know me from Adam, unless now he knows I'm the nice lady who brushes him and makes sure he has water in his quarantine stall.

He has some yellow discharge coming from one eye, I had a little bit of paper towel to wipe it away, he flung his head back and away, rolling eyes and all worked up, but just with some pets and letting him inspect the paper towel, he let me wipe the goo right off, let out a big sigh, and started flapping his lips like they do when they're relaxed, LOL! Score one for me!

Took my time getting on him, as he got REAL nervous...so I just stood on the mounting block for a bit, then put one foot in the stirrup, took it out, put it in, put some weight on it, took it out, and after a bit, got up in the saddle, he immediately took off, but didn't buck and rear like the last
time.

He lunges like a dream, he's a perfect gentleman, he's mellow and calm. Main problem I see is that he's VERY ring-sour. EVERY gate we came to, he'd stop and if I tried to keep him going or turn, he'd resist, fling his head, start to rear, and just carry on. For the record, I've won every battle so far, but still...

I also rode him outdoors in the outdoor arena, and he was SO ring sour out there, he would try to bolt for the gate, with even more high dramatics if I tried to turn him away from his Precious. Hmmm. I shall have to discuss this with Bob...unless some one can refer me to how to break this bad habit.

Figuring he wasn't much good in an arena, I got brave and rode him outside the arena. We had a little drama queen incident near some picnic tables, but once he saw I wasn't buying what he was selling, he edged past the Scary Tables without more than a tensed back and (I presume) rolling eyes.

Took him along the outside of the fenceline near the road, he didn't flinch when cars and trucks zoomed by...that's good. Up the other side to where a pair of metal gates are (closed in winter to keep snowmobilers off the property)...the wind gusted, the gates creaked slightly, horse JAMS on the brakes, I almost go flying off, but kept my seat! Had to spin him around a few times, he'd jump every time the wind made the gates creak...finally we just stood about 15 feet away, the gates would creak, he'd flinch...creak...flinch...creak...flinch. I got him to take a step towards the gates when the wind gusted, so he tried spinning again. I really do need to get a narrower bit for him, that might help with the control.

After a bit I got bored, so we turned around (because *I* wanted to, mind you) and headed down another trail to the top of a grassy hill, turned around (because *I* wanted to), and walked back to the barn. VERY pleased he wasn't barn sour, he walked slower back than leaving, I was worried he'd try to bolt. Nope. He didn't want to go in the barn, kept trying to head towards
the pastures, can't blame him.

Guess he won't be seeing the inside of a show arena this year, unless it's an in-hand class, LOL. Well, I'll find out what Bob wants for him, and discuss working on this ring sour nonsense. If only he weren't such a damned sweetie otherwise!!

I'm dying to trim him a bridlepath!

No comments: