Saturday, May 29, 2004

I Didn't Believe It!

Saturday May 29, 2004 5:14 pm

$350.

Three Hundred and Fifty Bucks.

That's all Bob wanted for Quzqo.

That's figuring the "freight" of getting him up here from Chicago...his Coggins & vaccinations.

Good thing I can keep a straight face. But then, he did say days ago I could buy him at cost. He said otherwise he'd want around $850. (which I would have been happy to pay as well). (Tezlu cost me $2000, after I knocked the price down by $1000).

Yep, I bought him. Wrote the check out on the spot.

AND he's giving me Tezlu's stall back (he's got a gorgeous buttermilk dun QH in there now)(one of his sales horses, not a paying boarder). So I imagine tomorrow Quzqo will be in Stall "M".

I still don't believe it!!! I don't know who's sweeter; the horse, or Bob!!

Quzqo and I had a good day today. I heeded the wise advice, and when I took him to the outdoor arena, I lunged him HARD right by the main gate. I mean trotting and cantering (I haven't seen that horse gallop yet) in deep, soft sand, and every time he came around to the gate, I gave an extra POP with the lunge whip...after a few times, he'd start rushing PAST the gate before I could snap the whip, then slow to a trot on the other side of the circle, then dig in and RUSH past the gate, then slow to a trot, LOL!

Then we'd take a break, walk to the center of the arena, catch our breath, he'd get pats and an apple slice, watch the world go by...then back by the gate, and lunge his brains out AGAIN!. We repeated that maybe 5 times...there were people riding in the arena by then, so didn't want to be in their way too much. We retired to the round pen and I let him off the line, and he ran and ran, with the bonus of a SCARY mud patch near THAT gate, so combining the scary mud AND the snapping whip, he didn't want anything to do with that gate. In fact, when we were done, I had to pull him towards the gate, LOL!

He's smart..he's a VERY very smart horse.

He does respond to some voice commands...knows what "whoa" means...he was free-lunging in the round pen at a canter, I told him whoa, and he'd stop and turn towards me...gee, just like in the John Lyons videos!!

We eventually went back into the barn, where the poor guy found himself being lunged in THAT arena, by the gate...he wants nothing to do with gates now, LOL!!! I had to get my lead rope I left by the gate, and I swear, I had to PULL that horse along, he did NOT want to get near it!

Tomorrow, we try this under saddle. Put down some cavaletti, etc. Oh, there's plenty of things we can do...I'm expert at entertaining horses.

Trimmed him a bridlepath, he looks much better!!

(Now I get to go Horse Shopping to buy stuff for the new horse...he needs splint boots & stuff!!) (Luckily fleabit dapple grey goes good with black & red, which was Tezlu's color scheme)

No comments: