Thursday, September 20, 2007

I Cantered!

Thu Sep 20, 2007

It's truly amazing how fast my ankle is healing now (like the Surgeon said it would!) A week and a half ago I couldn't post at all due to the pain, and as of last night, I can post all I want w/o ANY pain whatsoever! Getting the foot in the stirrup is still a chore, because it's hard to bend it inwards to pick up the stirrup with my boot toe, but once it's settled, no pain (and no numbness assuming I do more than just sit there)!

Rode the horse last night, and he was in an unusually friendly and cute mood. He wouldn't let me get on him though...waiting until I was standing on my stacked chairs, THEN swing his butt away from me! I'd get down, walk him around again, get him in position, get up the mounting block and onto my chairs...THEN he'd swing his butt away! I finally got down, took the reins (soft rope reins on my bitless bridle) and fwapped him across the chest and moved him backwards!! Brought him back, put him by the chairs, and lo and behold, he stood rock solid for me to get on, lol! I love it when he's so easily "persuaded" to behave himself!

Did a lot of trotting, and the lack of pain made me brave, and got Quzqo into a nice canter...he did beautifully! I think that deep new arena footing helped because it sure was soft and non-jarring. Plus he had to pick his feet up higher, heh heh. Cantered both directions, NO pain whatsoever, and we even made it all the way around the arena without breaking gait!

Only rode for half an hour or so, didn't want to press my luck. Of course when I dismounted, THEN my ankle let me know what it thought of all that nonsense, ha! Stupid ankle!

No comments: