Thursday, July 21, 2005

Quzqo's Perfect Show Record

Thu Jul 21, 2005

We went to the fun show at the fairgrounds last night, and Quzqo was his usual nigh-perfect Self! I'll give him this much, he's getting much better and more mellow about trailering...he only put on ONE Drama Queen "No, I don't THINK so" about getting into the trailer, but I just backed him up a few feet, then we tried again, and he stepped up and in (as opposed to LEAPING like a show jumper). At the fairgrounds he stepped out, instead of LEAPING like a show jumper. He even behaved himself at the fairgrounds. He's been there twice before, so I think he knows where he is, and isn't worried any longer...back in May he was wiggling all over, whinneying, pawing, being an idjit.

Got a wonderful surprise, mainly seeing an old friend from the barn where I used to board, gosh, I haven't seen her in 7 years or so! What's worse, her cute little daughter who used to ride in the kiddie classes atop their big QH mare is now **20**, and would be riding against ME in the "over 19" class! AAAGH! With the same laid-back QH who always did great at the shows, *sigh*. She (the horse) was Tezlu's girlfriend and she used to beat him at shows back then! LOL, we used to compete against each other in the NOVICE walk/trot classes in 1990!

Was a pretty crowded show, I think the largest class was 19 for the Novice Western Pleasure! They had 11 entries for the Lead Line...amazing! (and too cute for words!) I only took Quzqo into the Huntseat Pleasure, which had 9 in it. He did....okay. He was better about going into the ring (back in May he pitched a Fit at the in-gate, not wanting to go in), lovely trot, lovely transitions, didn't spook at the row of dumpsters at one end of the arena, picked up his correct leads...and proceeded to BOMB AROUND THE ARENA LIKE A CRAZY MAN!! LOL! Tried my darnedest to calm him down...relaxing my seat, sitting upright, cooing to him to be "eaaaaasy... eeeaaaasyyy", but didn't do much good...I was sort of in a dilemma, because I knew if I tried to collect him up with the reins, he'd slow down to a trot, I had to urge him with a spur a couple of times in the corners, but at least he made it all the way around the arena 3 times without breaking his gait or veering for the gate..which was GOOD because some damned kids had opened the OUT gate and left it open, we had a four-foot opening...but he was cantering on his right lead by that time, and the gate was to our left...or he might have veered for it (he did that to me in the warm-up ring later, but we were trotting). We cut off a Pro Trainer on a QH, I hope she heard my "Sorry!", LOL.

He slowed to a walk real nice when asked, turned like a pro, walked nice, picked up his right lead VERY nicely...and proceeded to BOMB AROUND THE ARENA LIKE A CRAZY MAN! Well, at least he can do it in both directions, LOL! However, halfway through the cantering phase I felt him round and actually relax and slow...and we got a few strides of a very nice civilized cantering (for an Arabian in a snaffle bit). Trot, line up, back...which he DID...for Quzqo, backing is an issue, but I'm happy he gave me the two steps he did...when I got him, he wouldn't even back from the ground, never mind with a rider!

Course we didn't place, thus his perfect show record of non-placing! I guess I should figure ANY improvement from a previous effort is a Blue Ribbon, and I have to remember this was his FOURTH 'big horse' class in his life, so...not so bad.

The horses from the Arabian Show Barn (where I used to board) were there...all the Class A National Champions...damn, they were BEAUTIFUL, *sigh*. Sleek, elegant, arched necks, silky manes, glossy...prancing and mincing and being so perfect...had to remind myself that they're also into their teens in age, been trained to the gills and beyond, and the English ones were wearing Kimberwickes, and the Western ones had curb bits the size of pipe wrenches. I'd mince and prance delicately if I had more hardware than Ace in my mouth too!

We got back to the barn around 10...today I hope to just go on a nice, no-nonsense trail ride in the State Forest...try out my new endurance saddle (need to drill some holes first!). Won't give a crap what his headset is, or what lead he takes, or on which diagonal I post!

No comments: