Thursday, July 7, 2005

More Show Prep


Thu Jul 7, 2005

Well, the people running that horse show this weekend oughta just mail me my first place ribbons and Championship rosettes right now, because they're good as won!!

Tonight was Spa Night for Quzqo...the poor guy's been ridden for the past 5 nights/days straight, he (I) needed a break! So he got hisself clipped he did! I wish the Arabian-hating barn owner was there tonight to see that "flightly Airhead" get his whiskers clipped (Bob has told me he hates all Arabians, except Tezlu...he hasn't updated that statement to include Quzqo...yet, LOL). I had his halter undone and hanging around his neck, and I just stood there, clipping away at his nose and lips and chin and jaw, and he just stood there, head down, ears at half-mast, just...doing nothing! LOL! No, he wasn't sick or drugged, just... Quzqo! Got his ears clipped, not a twitch or anything! Biggest problem when he decided he'd try to EAT the
clippers when I was doing his lips (thank goodness horse drool doesn't short out clippers!). Got his ergots trimmed, touched up his bridle path, and man O man, he looks GOOOO-OOOOD!!!

Put on his fancy brown & gold show halter from the auction this past weekend, and went outside to the arena, and practiced our Halter routine...I found if, when I'm running with him, I hold my hand up high, he lifts his head (and tail!) up high and trots SO nicey-nice!!! Not that low-headed hang-dog Stock horse trot! Yet he comes right down to a walk and stops with
me! Took quite a few tries before he caught on where I wanted his feet, and did let me pick them up and put them in the right places...and thanks to the Clicker Training, I can now get him to raise his head up high and stretttttttch it out towards my whip handle (I got an even better result when I put a piece of apple in the palm of that hand, LOL). And I found I can step back about a yard, and he keeps that pose SO pretty...with his one hind leg stretched out behind him, tail up...Damn! Where's the photographers from Arabian Horse World when you need them!!! He looked SO gorgeous, with the setting sunlight glinting off his silvery fur, and the gold on the halter, phew! Hope I don't start crying during the class, LOL!

So, an easy night for Himself...he better enjoy it, because tomorrow night he gets RIDDEN...last chance practice before Saturday...I've decided we're going to do Huntseat Equitation AND the Huntseat Pleasure classes, LOL! Why not, no sense waking up at 4 in the morning for just two halter classes!

Yes, I'll try to get pix taken, but no guarantees. They will have a professional photographer at the show...Hmmm... Stay Tuned...

No comments: