Saturday, June 30, 2007

Horse For Sale! NOT!

Sat Jun 30, 2007

Got out to see the horse last night! The little twerp pre-teen was there, so I drafted her into hauling my cart upstairs, and we attached the shafts! It's a start anyway.

The next day (today) is a big two-day show at the fairgrounds (put on by a regional ARABIAN club)(that I can't show at, *sob*), so the barn was hoppin' with people readying their horses. My friend was there banding her Paint's mane, and I sat and chatted a while...and deep down inside, I was GLAD I wasn't going, HA!

The horses were waaaay out in the pasture when I arrived, so I wasn't in any rush to go hiking after Coos. But after yakking for half an hour or so, I looked out the door, and here comes Himself, ambling up towards the gate to get a drink of water!! So I hopped across the arena (damn, that new dirt is soft and sinky!), called Quzqo's name when I got to the door...he looked up, and walked right to the gate & was waiting!

I grabbed a rope halter/lead off a nearby hook and hopped out there...goofy horse would NOT come through the gate on his own, he stood in the opening as I held it open, looking at me like "well???". So I had to put the halter on him, and THEN he deigned to walk nicely through the gate, LOL! GOOD...he's retained that much good manners.

The twerp pre-teen had been telling me more horror stories of how Coos had been abusing her when she tried to turn him out in the morning, LOL...dragging her, rearing, bucking, etc. Uh-huh. The consensus among the grown-ups is that she likes to tell stories, so I'm not worried any more.

I was worried about trying to bring in a horse while on crutches (me, not the horse)...but Mr. Angel Boy walked slowly beside me, stopped when I stopped, and was a perfect gentleman, all the way to the barn and even down the aisle!! I tied him to a post outside his stall and managed to give him the first proper grooming in 5 weeks!! He did spook violently when a horse in a nearby stall stuck its head out the door & poked him in the butt, but he was tied, and lunged back AWAY from me, LOL.

Coos TRIED to rush into the stall when we were done, but I reminded him of proper horse manners, and he remembered, and backed nicely, and stood in the door and waited until I said it was okay to come into the stall. Then we had a little discussion about how it's important for a good horse to stand calmly until the human removes the halter...it's obvious he'd been allowed to wreak holy havoc and pull nonsense a'plenty in my absense!! But he stood quietly even AFTER I got the halter and lead off of him, and then walked to his grain bucket!

Mom's back...better behave, HA!

He's got a NASTY witch's knot in his mane...gads...I tried soaking it in concentrated Show-Sheen, but no good even getting ONE hair loose. I left it in (obviously), so maybe today. Otherwise I'm going to have to cut it out. Well, we're pretty much FUBAR for any horse shows this summer, so it doesn't matter. Plus it's on the underside of his mane (right in the MIDDLE), so there's still 18" long mane hair to cover the gap. *sigh*, I fear the worst.

LOL...my farrier stopped by while I was in the stall, & apparently he's got a client looking for a "grey endurance Arabian" and asked me if I wanted to sell Quzqo (like, what, a horse breaks yer leg and all of a sudden you want to get rid of him??). Other than the fact I'd never sell my boy, he is NO endurance Arabian, LOL...hardly! Let's just say I made it clear I was NOT selling him, and my farrier chuckled and said "You can get triple what you paid for him!" and I said "What, $900???" LOL! I need more incentive than THAT.

No No NO...no selling Quzqo!! NEVAH!!!

GADS, he is FAT though (Quzqo...and my farrier, heh heh). I couldn't feel any ribs this time, and he's in his short summer coat. Well, maybe I can start free-lunging him in the indoor arena, that'd be something. Cripes, he might not fit his cart now, ha!

Good to see my boy anyway. He had HUGE manure blotches on his butt, barrel and shoulder on BOTH sides, and his bridlepath is about 2" long & sticking up like a mohawk. The dock of his tail is all rubbed and dry with hair sticking up, and that nasty witch's knot in his mane, and his hooves are chipped...except for being FAT, he looks about like when I first got him! Poor neglected orphan!!

No comments: