Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Got To Visit My Horse!

Wed Jun 6, 2007

Cocky with confidence at my ability to drive my car, and feeling pretty okay after work yesterday, I drove myself to the barn, parked in my new "handicapped spot" (by the back entrance, closest to Quzqo's end of the barn, no steps), and crutched myself on in! Coos wasn't in his stall, but happy day, all the geldings were gathered by the gate, waiting to be brought in for the evening. Lucky, too, because Bob has moved them to the BIG pasture for a few weeks to let the grass in the "Bad Boyz" pasture grow back...this is the big pasture where Coos was last year (3/8 mile hike out)...so lucky they all were in by the gate!

Coos was in the back of the herd, just hanging out & looking pretty, and the teen girl who was doing the evening chores was bringing them in one at a time. I had to holler out Quzqo's name (Well, my patented Quzqo-Call, which is a high-pitched "HEYYYCoos")...he turned his head and pricked his ears and saw me in the doorway. Well, by the time the girl brought in the next horse, Coos had sidled through the crowd (with a few pinning of the ears here and there) and stood RIGHT by the gate, and the gal had no choice but to bring him in next! He stopped where I was standing (HE stopped, the girl didn't stop him, LOL) and I got to talk to him and rub his face, then she lead him down the aisle to his stall, with me hobbling along behind.

There was no food in his stall, so when I caught up & opened the door, he was right there to say "Hi" and was in full "NO TOUCHEE" mode lol...if I didn't have treats, I couldn't touch Himself, but I got to pat his cheek and shoulder. But then I started scratching him on the chest, where all the nasty crusty fly bites are, and OH, the bliss!!! He leaned right into it and stuck his head STRAIGHT up in the air like a giraffe, it total bliss and getting scritched on the itchies!! Danged thing kept leaning and leaning, I had to back up and hold on to the door so he wouldn't knock me over, LOL!

But, I didn't have a good shoe on my left foot, so my foot got VERY sore standing like that, so I had to say adieu to my boy. Gads, has he porked out, LOL...lookin' good though, almost all shed out, so all the speckles are in their glory. He's got a huge witch's knot in his mane, *sigh*...but only one new bite on his neck...w/a 30 acre pasture, I hope he's able to get away from the other horses!

Sure did ME good to see him though! Best medicine in the world!

No comments: