Sunday, March 25, 2007

Second Trail Ride of the Season

Sun Mar 25, 2007

Took Himself out yesterday afternoon for a multi-mile trail ride! He was a pistol, nice to see him full of piss & vinegar, yet not insanely so! The snow isn't gone from the woods yet, so we didn't ride in the woods too much...very slick and slushy, Quzqo was NOT pleased.

Once we got to our favorite dirt road, I got him cantering and gave him his head...the little shit TORE off at a gallop and we went maybe 3/8 of a mile like that...that was SO fun!! At no time did he feel out of control or out of his mind, we just flew down that road and had a great time!!! He slowed down on his own and when we reached the turnaround (before it turns into a two-track into the woods, which was all snowy and icy)...we turned around, and cantered back the other way at a slower pace! Had to do more road-riding, but he did terrific, not even flinching when a big pickup truck whizzed by! Since he's going barefoot now, I didn't trot him on the gravel, kept him walking.

Did some more cantering on the dirt road near the barn, and was thrilled that I could steer him at a canter using neck-reining...course maybe he was avoiding those dips and puddles in the road on his own and it was merely coincidence I'd asked him to move left or right at the same time, lol! Needless to say little fat boy was puffin' and sweaty, so I got off him and walked beside him up this steep hill (one-lane dirt road, blind spot, scary). Of course my real motive was to pick up the beer cans I spotted on our way down earlier, LOL...hey, got 5 of 'em...that's 50 cents with Michigan's deposit law! My new pommel packs I bought worked out great for toting empty beer cans!

Hopefully he's tuckered out today (I know I am!), and won't need too much tiring out before harnessing this afternoon!

No comments: