Sunday, July 11, 2004

Good Boy, Quzqo!


Sun Jul 11, 2004

Another stellar day for the Wonder Horse! Today he got another visit from the vet for his West Nile booster...she injected him in the tender buttal area, and surprised me that he didn't kick her! But he shocked her by bleeding profusely all over the floor! Oh, she felt SO bad about that...commenting what a "delicate grey" he is...goody. Yes, she got the bleeding stopped...my poor guy!!

At least the hair on his face that was rubbed down to the black skin is growing back, now that he's turned out halter-less...delicate grey indeed!!

Rode him indoors in the shade, and got him to canter THREE times! Maybe five strides at the most, but still...his canter is HORRIBLE...disjointed and rough, but it's probably because he's not used to doing it with a passenger! We'll work on that, not like I'm real anxious to have a horse that can run off with me (again), LOL!

After working inside, we did head out on the trail again, going the opposite way around the property from yesterday. He did GREAT, except for an explosive blow-up over a little black birdie that flitted out of the tall grass in front of us...a great 180 degree spin, I lost a stirrup but stayed on and got him turned the right way again, LOL! Goofy boy. We met Bob (the barn owner) and a prospective sales customer out on their own trail ride, and I commented about the spook...the woman (who is shopping for a totally bomb-proof recreational riding horse), commented "SEE? That's what I've had enough of!!" LOL! Hell, girlfriend, that's what makes 'em interesting!!!

But what I liked was that when they rode off opposite the direction we were riding in, Quzqo didn't care one whit that the other horses were leaving him, he was perfectly content to be alone with me! That's a Big Deal, believe you me!

He finally got to wear his fly sheet today, the flies are bad enough. Goofy me forgot to tie the tail strap thingee though, and remembered that when he was halfway back to the barn. I was dying of thirst, so got a drink, by the time I got back out, I could see him out in the field, with the fly
sheet hanging from his neck on the ground!!! Aaak!!!

I hurried out there, figuring he couldn't run off, he'd step on the sheet and fall down!!! But, Mr. Perfect stood out there quietly, and waited for me to get there. Got it on straight, tied the tail thing, and rigged a belly strap out of some baling twine...he let me, never mind he didn't have a
halter or anything on him making him stay put in the middle of that 30 acre field of grass and horses!!

When I was walking back to the barn I glanced back and saw he was ROLLING! Oh great...but when he got back up, the sheet was right where I left it...straight and secure! Whew!!

Tezlu had one of those sheets last year until the other mean horses tore it off of him. A couple of geldings were sort of harassing/herding Quzqo around, probably making fun of him for wearing the sissy sheet, never mind one of them had a goofy fly mask on, LOL! He'll be fine.

No comments: