Wednesday, July 7, 2004

Learned to Lead

Wed Jul 7, 2004

Got Mr. Quzqo ALL gussied up now, ready and waiting to begin his show career in Halter at least! The show at the barn isn't until late August, so we've got time, but now is the time to prep. He's got a proper Arabian bridle path, and Monday I put his tail "up" with t-shirt ribbons for fly-swatting, to give it a chance to grow longer without catching on the stall boards or door latches! Even found him a black & silver Arabian show halter on eBay which should be here Friday...then to take some proper halter portraits!

Yes, at long last, thanks to Linda Tellington-Jones and that Australian guy (Clinton Anderson is it?), I was able to "teach" Cusco how to trot along with me on a lead! Before he wouldn't, he'd plant his feet and rear back, but with the help of Mr. Whip and the afore-mentioned video trainers, within a very short time I had him just trotting right along with me as smart as you please! Thus sealing his fate as at least going into ONE halter class in August!! I don't know if real horse judges look past any "surface flaws" and go by the actual ABC's of a horse, or if he'll be penalized for his scrapes and scuffies from his tough life on the auction circuit, or his truncated forehooves where they had to be trimmed back severely, or the rubs on his face from the halter, but I don't care, I'll pay my $4 and make 'em look at him anyway. He's so damned purdy otherwise, I dunno, *I* can't see anything conformationally wrong with him!

Got to go on a short trail ride with some of the teens Monday, and Quzqo was perfect (other than stumbling three times that made me flash back to Tezlu) (he was VERY tired, yawning even; they had left him outside in the field all night, so he probably didn't get much sleep, not used to that outdoor camping). Looking forward to when I can take him out by myself! I may give it a shot this weekend, he's calming down a LOT, as he gains confidence and trust...I can tell just by working with him, he's def. getting more comfortable, and I with him as well!

Yep, gonna be an interesting Summer!

No comments: