Friday, May 12, 2006

A Near Miss

Fri May 12, 2006

Well, I guess not really, but it sounds good that way.

Last night a bunch of us were riding/working horses in the indoor arena (due to the cold/damp/windy weather outside), and Deb, the trainer (and my Cusco-training/riding instructor) was working with some young horses. She was in the process of mounting a young sorrel mare when I guess the mare shot straight upwards before Deb got her right foot in the stirrup, and just took off crow-hopping and sunfishing like a Bronc! That horse was airborne, all four feet up in the air, and poor Deb bouncing around like a rag doll! On the third buck Deb flew forward off the horse and apparently managed to roll, but the horse came down ON TOP OF HER with all four hooves! She started screaming as the horse launched skyward again and proceeded to buck on around the arena (That horse was easily 1-2 feet up in the air with each hop).

One of the moms called 9-11 even before I could (but she was closer to the phone on that side of the arena, I had to get off Quzqo and run to the other side), two of the other ladies ran to Deb who was sobbing and screaming (good sign, I guess), one of the teens caught the bronc, and my farrier hurried over to Deb (he didn't get too close I noticed...but got a lot closer than I did!).

Long story short, the local volunteer paramedics showed up after about 10 minutes, and the real ambulance about 5 minutes after them, and they got her stabilized and on a backboard and off to the hospital...they didn't use the siren, which is good (means they weren't in a hurry, which means her injuries weren't life-threatening)...I guess she was complaining of severe pain in her right hip, her chest (trouble breathing) and a huge flap of scalp and ear was torn loose from her head. God.

I'll admit, I about passed out twice, and probably annoyed God with all my prayers, but she was joking with the paramedics about wanting a face lift when they stitched her head back together, and a boob job as well...and she could move her arms, and never lost consciousness (I bet she wished she had). Her husband showed up (they live about 5 minutes from the barn) and went with her in the ambulance.

Kind of put a damper on the evening, I sure didn't feel like riding any more. I'm glad in a way, that a BUNCH of the teens witnessed the accident...if that could happen to an experienced horsewoman...maybe they'll start being more careful and maybe WEAR A DAMNED HELMET! Granted a helmet wouldn't have prevented the hip or chest injuries, but chances are it would have deflected the hoof that scalped her!

Really sad because she was going to the horse show with us this weekend to compete and "coach" her students from the rail...most the ladies from her classes are going (probably all going into "Green Rider Equitation", lol). Damn, though...such a horrific accident. I can relate to any hindsight she might be pondering today (assuming she's not flying on painkillers)... shoulda lunged the horse, shoulda done this, shoulda done that...

Makes ya think though.

No comments: