Saturday, February 10, 2007

Back to School

Sat Feb 10, 2007

Driving School! For Quzqo!

Yep, poor lad went behind the blinders again this afternoon, after being ridden, being jumped over jumps, and being ridden bridleless, making sure he was sufficiently tuckered out!

Got my clipper blades back from the sharpening place (found them online, $6/set of blades, w/postage included!), so I clipped the horse's bridlepath down as far as I could go, and then trimmed under his jaw, a bit off the sides, and trimmed the guard hairs from around his eyes. I'd also punched some more holes in the harness bridle, and huzzah, today it FIT! He was a lot less annoyed by the blinders, probably because those hairs were gone.

He did VERY well this time, we didn't run into/over anything, and he was much calmer and more confident. After about ten minutes we stopped and I tied the traces together, snapped the lead rope onto the end, and tied the rope around my waist (Doesn't that sound foolhardy and dangerous as heck, eh?). Then I got him going again, and every 10 feet or so, I'd lean back against the rope, and he'd pull me along, LOL! Oh, for a skateboard or skis! He did VERY very VERY well!!! But believe you me, we're going to do a LOT more of this sort of thing before the cart comes in to play!!

LOL...this middle-aged fat guy was at the barn, picking up his kid I guess, and was wandering around. Our conversation kind of went like this:

"Is that an Appaloosa?"

"No, he's an Arabian"

"How can you tell the difference?"

BWAHAHAHAA! I didn't get into it in great detail. He seemed amazed that at one time my horse was brown and now he's white with speckles though.

I'm still amused at that. Poor Coos, nobody EVER comes up and says "What a beautiful fleabitten grey Arabian gelding!!" He's either an Appaloosa, a Pony, or a Mare!

More driving tomorrow! Might introduce the check rein and breeching!

No comments: