Thursday, June 17, 2004

Progress Days


Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:08 pm

I'm still waiting for whatever it is that put that boy into the auction to surface...I haven't seen it yet!

Bob told me this morning that Quzqo is now waiting at the gate in the evening, ready to come in, all by himself...now if only he'd walk into the barn and find his stall by himself like Tez used to, LOL...I told him to just give him time!

Rode him last night, and as long as Mr. Whip is on board, he is just The Golden Boy! Finally got him so that we can just trot and trot and trot and trot...figure 8's, circles, serpentines, trot this way, that way, sitting, posting...a trottin' fool!! No gate foolishness, no spooks, no rearing, no antics, just arch that neck, tuck that head, round that back and awayyyy we go!

If Mr. Whip isn't riding with me, he does revert to the wandering laggart with a penchant for standing still and dozing in the middle of the arena, LOL!

Took him outside after working inside for maybe 45 minutes, and was almost able to get on him from the ground...not quite, had to find a little rise of dirt about 4", but we're getting there! He put on a little show at a gate where some cars and a gas grill were parked...balking, trying to spin, little hopping rears, snorts, the usual...but one sharp tap with Mr. Whip, he snapped to, and marched right through the gate and past the cars without further complaint! We went down to the outdoor arena, past the scary jumps and barrels left over from the Pony Club weekend, and into the arena. Got him trotting, and other than slowing down at the gate, he kept on trottin'! Outstanding for a horse that last week I couldn't get to go more than 10 steps before he'd stop or veer or slow down...I think he's getting to know me, and I, him...he has figured out that contact with the bit doesn't mean "stop"...finally!

He won't back for me though...he will from the ground, but not if I'm riding, but I'll just add that to one more thing on the "To-Do" list! Bob's daughter (the one who broke her back in April & is now wandering around in a plastic bustier like a Gladiatrix, LOL...no riding for her until October, poor thing!) (she was bucked off a horse) anyway, she's offered to help me with Quzqo's adversion to being lead at a trot...he'll need to do that if he plans to show in the Halter classes
at the big two-day show at the barn in August (and September!).

So, we're getting there...I don't know where, but we're getting there. I'm learning his tricks, so that's helping me be a LOT more confident. Like any new relationship, it takes time.

He's got 6 huge crusty bug bites on his butt, poor guy...but this morning he let me put fly spray on him without a twitch! That's an improvement right there!

No comments: