Wednesday, June 2, 2004

The Quzqo Album

Wed Jun 2, 2004 8:38 pm

http://www.semperfas.com/cusco

I swear, that boy can NOT take a bad picture!!! I love the one with him trotting and his neck arched so pretty! His butt's not that big, it's just the wide angle aspect of the digital camera (that's my excuse).

We had quite a lovely evening tonight...I went out around 6:30, so Quzqo was done with dinner and looking for something to do. He was in the stall, and my heart lept with joy when he whinneyed at me and came right to the door to wait for me to open it!

I still can NOT get over what a huge schmooze he is! It 'Tain't natural!! Now I've got the teenage girls coming up and complementing me on what an adorable horse he is! I hope my farrier won't refer to this one as "The Old Turd" like he did Tezlu. He did get his hooves trimmed, I think I'll ask him how Quzqo did...he's a perfect gentlemen when I clean his feet. Just curious.

Didn't ride him tonight, we worked on groundwork instead, as you can see on the web page, a lot of round pen. I just let him romp and frisk and toss his head and buck and carry on, get the P&V out. Occasionally I'd stop him (just say "whoa"), approach him for pats and an apple slice, then get him moving again with just a wave of my open hand. After he started slowing down, whether he was tired or bored, I don't know, I put the lead back on him and we worked on whip desensitization. Just using the butt end of my dressage whip, I rubbed him all over with it...neck, throat, shoulder, barrel, back, butt, belly...he didn't care! Not one bit!!! Not a flinch, not a twitch...he had a worried look, but once he figured I was being nice to him, he relaxed. and just stood there like the best horse in the world!

Did some more ground work...leading, backing, stopping, moving forward...if I plan to show him in Halter, I can see we're going to have to work on TROTTING, LOL, I could NOT get him into a trot, instead I was dragging him around the arena...he isn't real motivated, ha!

I swear, he's the Anti-Tezlu! With Tez, he'd be dragging ME around the arena!

Hard to get used to a horse that's so damned nice and quiet and pleasant and polite. I'd been thinking how lucky Quzqo was that I "saved" him. Now I'm thinking, maybe it's ME that's the lucky one!!

No comments: