Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Day After the Day After the Bowen Therapy

Paging Rod Serling, Rod Serling, please pick up the white courtesy phone! (do they even have those any more?)

Okay, I'm keeping an open mind about this Bowen stuff and all. I did my 3/8 mile hike out to the pasture to catch Quzqo, and he dragged me the 3/8 mile back to the barn. Brushed him without incident, he let me doctor up his new greasy heel infection (love rainy weather!), didn't frankly notice anything particularly different about him.

His nose is getting sunburned and it's starting to crack and peel, so I'd been putting aloe vera gel on it. This usually means a big Drama Queen battle, the instant I raise my goo-smeared fingers towards his face UP goes the head and he keeps his head as high as he can so I can't reach him. If I pull him down with the halter, he moves backwards. Usually I have to blindside him with a quick dab to the nose...as soon as he feels the gel on his nose, he's like "Oh, that stuff" and lowers his head and allows me to massage it in, probably enjoying its cooling smoothness on his chapped nose.

So tonight I'm ready for battle, UP goes the head...I wait a moment, then suddenly, he lowers his head back down, arches his neck prettily, and allows me to apply the gel right then and there without a single bit of fuss! Couldn't believe it, but was true, the first time that's ever happened!

Now the therapy lady did say the Therapy would help settle him down...is this something significant, or just a coincidence? Dunno.

Might ride him tomorrow, see what's different there, if anything.

DooDooDooDoo (Twilight Zone theme)

No comments: