Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Hurdle Crossed

Finally my back/legs/ribs were at a state that I figured I might be able to at least sit on Quzqo, more to jump the mental hurdle than the physical one. It helped that it was 89 degrees out, and the horse was a limp dishrag energy-wise, ha ha!

There was a family of boarders riding horses in the indoor arena, which would also be good; he'd have company and maybe not feel tense. He wasn't happy when I put the pad on his back (but he never is), I tried some of that hands-off massage and he dropped his head and started licking and chewing!

*I* needed some hands-off massage to calm ME down. But he stood still for me to get on instead of his usual antics (too hot to be naughty), and took off walking before I got my right foot in the stirrup (we need to work on THAT next).

He was pretty much normal (why wouldn't he be?), only once his head shot down and I was afraid he was going to buck (lol), but he was just trying to snarf up some hay on the ground next to a hay wagon in the arena. We walked around, dodging the other horses (dang people who can't steer a QH, lol!). After a few minutes we jog trotted, and only issue was the tweaking of my lower back. And the horse was breaking into a sweat, so we called it quits, I didn't want to torque my spine or something. It was kinda sore, but at least I Did It! And wearing jeans and boots in 89 degree weather isn't that great either, lol!

Next step will be to ride him in the outdoor ring, then maybe go around the fenceline. But not 'til my back is 100% good (or at lest 90%)

His knee wound is slowly healing, it's oozing clear red stuff, but long as it's not pus I guess. It was worse than I first estimated apparently, but at least it IS healing.

No comments: