Monday, September 27, 2010

Driving Around The Neighborhood

Took Quzqo for a drive yesterday, it was SO nice out, no bugs, not hot, no wind. Just as we were leaving, Bob and his extended family and friends were all returning from a trail ride (that I wasn't invited on, grumble) (not that I would have gone, ha ha)...I'd wondered why there were 10 cars in the parking lot but no people, they were all riding! Happily nobody spooked at the horse and cart and Quz didn't spook at the long line of horses coming down the road at us!

Just as they got down into the field off the road, Bob's horse spooked and bounced around sideways....so I'm not the only one (and no, he wasn't riding an Arabian!)

We went our usual "around the block" route (which is about 5 miles of road driving), and were approaching my friend's house and I was surprised to see...my ex-neighbor's car in the driveway! I saw her disappearing around back, and my friend's Lab, Chester, was bouncing around in the yard. What the heck, I drove Quz up the driveway and into the side yard. Chester barked at us, which brought my friend around the side of the house!

The ex-neighbor was visiting as they were going to go into the back field to hunt mushrooms, and were in the process of getting their riding mower out of the garage so the neighbor could ride out there (too far for her to hobble with her bum knee). I offered to give her a ride IF the cart could fit down the trail. Course it was wide enough, since that's what they drove their tractor/trailer down doing syrup this past spring!

I was SO pleased with Quz, he just marched right through the back yard, ignoring Chester, ignoring cars, trees, back yard stuff, and we followed the friend down the woodsy pathway (she had to pick up the pace cuz Quzqo was all enthused about this new place to go for once! Mighta run her over if she slowed down). About 100 yards into the woods we came into a clearing where the neighbor got out to go search for mushrooms.

I let Quz graze while we waited, feeling like the taxi driver in "Black Beauty", ha ha! At least it wasn't snowing. I got bored after 10 minutes or so, and tried to get Quz to step around the fire pit and move someplace else, but he started acting upset about SOMEthing... this ignorant Monkey took too long to notice he'd about rubbed his BRIDLE OFF!!! His right blinker was down on his cheek, the left blinker was in the middle of his forehead, one ear was behind the crownpiece, holy shit!!

I hollered for help from the other ladies but they were too far away and would have been useless anyway (now that I think about it). Quz started lunging forward in a panic, I got him stopped and jumped out of the cart (THAT is why I never want a Meadowbrook cart!) and ran to his head and managed to pull the bridle back to where it was supposed to be! Goofy horse!!

The ladies were done with their hunt, only finding a couple of giant puffballs but nothing else edible, so the neighbor climbed back in the cart, and we headed back down the path. Quz was more than happy to leave, he KNEW he was heading home!

We stopped in the back yard, the neighbor got out and Quz snagged some more lovely domestic grass from the lawn, and after a bit more chitchat, I pointed the horse towards home and he was on his way, don't try to stop him!!!

That horse never ceases to amaze!

No comments: