Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Horse Social Experiment FAIL

Got out to the barn after work, and found Quzqo standing waaaaaay the hell out in the middle of the field, at least 1/4 mile out, all by himself, butt to the wind (and baby, it's a wind! And COOLLLLDDDD)

All the mares were ganged up around the round bale, stuffing themselves, poor Quz looked so little and sad out there. Even sadder, I had to hike out there to get him because he wouldn't come when I called (knee-deep snow anyone?)

Sadder still, his hoofprints in the snow were all but obliterated by the wind, which means he'd been standing there quite a while. He was a little headshy and twitchy, but I managed to halter him and he about dragged me in.

Had to whip our way past the mares that turned from the hay and started coming at us, ears pinned. He dashed through the gate, and I had to whip our way through the geldings from the other pasture blocking the way! I chased 'em all out of there, giving us a good 20-30 foot clear zone, and Quzqo heaved a HUGE sigh! It was pitiful!! Poor boy!

When brushing, I found a HUGE scalped area on his butt cheek...hair, skin, peeled right off by a bite or kick! Dammit!

So, reluctantly, I asked Bob to put him back in with the Big Browns...the enemy you know is better than the enemy you don't know. At least there there's only 4 other horses (as opposed to the 10 mares), and the hay is fed by hand, so it's spread out, not just a round bale plopped in the middle. And again, he'll have the run-in shed, since we're due for some nasty-ass cold weather, that'll be nice. And yes, it's a few feet from the barn entrance and I won't have to whip my way through a seething mob of crabby geldings like Indiana Jones!

*Sigh*

I survived Junior High, he can survive this.

On the bright side, my new saddle should arrive tomorrow! Yaay!

No comments: