Thursday, May 8, 2008

Baby Update & PsyQuo Quzqo


The vet came out two days ago (her birthday)(the foal's,  not the vet's...though it might have been, I don't know her birth date) & checked her over & gave her an enema because little baby couldn't poop. That explains her messy rump in the pix. She seems to have grown already, LOL, and was busily nursing this morning! Mama wasn't any friendlier towards Quzqo when I led him past her stall, but too bad for her.

Quz was a MANIAC last night...the 20mph winds & him not having dinner didn't help. I tell ya, I was fearful for my safety, leading that screwball around!! When I hosed his leg, he went into the cross-ties in the wash rack, no more grazing and hosing and excuses to spook and wiggle.

So this morning, contrary to veterinary instructions (I'm bad, sue me) I took Quz out to the arena on a lunge line! He placidly walked around for a few minutes, even walking over trail obstacles on his own. Bob's two Corgis came down to "help" and I don't know if it was them, or he just decided he'd had enough of walking placidly but he EXPLODED into a silvery whirlwind of snort-buck fury!!! He TORE off at a gallop around me, and I had to brace against him by bracing the lunge line across my hip just like the cowboys of old! (actually I saw a woman lunging a 2 yr old Draft cross this winter, and she did that to stay on her feet, and hey, it works!). He still dragged me around the arena, but I was laughing the whole time, and he ran and bucked and kicked and snorted and ran some more round and round, digging deep into the dirt, the young Corgi (Ironman) "chasing" him from a safe distance, and Lola, Bob's corgi bitch, wisely stood between me and the horse and just watched.

Don't know how long he ran, had to be 10 minutes at the least, his tail at a 45 degree angle (as high as he can get it...if it hadn't been broken, I bet it would have been beyond ramrod straight). He was beautiful in the golden sunrise; sunlight glinting off his mane...he was just floating above the ground when he slowed down to a trot that would have left a Standardbred in the dust! Where was somebody with a video camera!

He slowed down on his own, like "okay, that's enough" & we calmly walked over a few more trail obstacles before leaving the arena and I let him graze for a few minutes. He wasn't even breathing hard, and his bandage hadn't moved an inch. He didn't seem to mind going back to the barn this time, maybe because he got the edge off & knew grain (and bute) awaited. It's like 1 cup of grain, if that, just enough to convey the bute powder.

Sure hope the vet says it's okay to ride him...I doubt he'll get turnout, because that wound is very open and draining, it's almost 1/2" wide and 1" long, bleah. But at least it's draining and not swollen, red or stinky!



No comments: