Friday, May 16, 2008

Rode to Recovery

Got to ride Quzqo last night! Poor boy was SOOOO worn out from his busy day, I might as well have carried HIM around the arena! I knew he was worn out when he didn't side-step when I put the saddle on his back (he usually does that, no matter if it's English, Western, or treeless... just on matter of principle), AND he obligingly opened his mouth to accept the bit!

The indoor arena was full of riding lessons, Bob's granddaughters riding, my friend with the Paint working my farrier's horse, and another lady with her OTTB. Needless to say, Coos and I went OUTside!

Didn't bother to lunge him, as draggy as he was acting. He did swing his hindquarters away a couple of times while I was trying to get on, but he was too tired to keep it up and the third time he stood still for me. Stinker.

I'd put his bridle fly-mask on, and again the poor horse was wandering around like Mr. Magoo, and not real keen on doing anything because it seemed he had trouble seeing! He wavered and wobbled and veered like a drunkard, and kept tripping on trail obstacles. He was even less keen on actually trotting, but I got him into a trot, and didn't notice ANY lameness or favoring his injured leg.

Alas, all good things must come to an end, for within minutes there came a literal PARADE of horses and riders down the hill from the barn....the resident trainer on a horse she's been working for the past few weeks...followed by the lady with the OTTB...and my friend on the
farrier's horse...and the riding lesson...and the grandkids on their horses! Soon the arena was awash in horses (the trainer wisely stayed OUTside the ring), with TB's being lunged and kids on QHs going the wrong way and crying about it (snark). Quz was SO unenthused, and I was
feeling disappointed and claustrophobic, and my cinch was loose, so I got off, tightened the cinch, and exited the arena.

Remounted outside at a bench...Quzqo tried to graze but the fly mask interfered with his depth perception and he bonked his head on the bench, LOL! (I know, it's not really funny, but it was). We headed off for the trails, only to be joined by the twerpy teen (the one who phoned me about Quzqo's injury weeks ago) on her "new" QH mare, "Dolly" (snark...turns out her father hasn't paid the horse's board for FOUR MONTHS so Bob is a bit unhappy. Gee, why, that's only....oh.. .$1200.00 the guy owes him! Maybe if he stayed out of jail and got a job other than dope dealing he could pay...but that's another story.)

Quzqo only spooked once (at what, I don't know), Dolly did very well, considering it was her first time off the property! Was so nice to be riding, enjoying the wildflowers in the woods, the sound of the Sandhill Cranes in the distance, swatting mosquitoes off of Quzqo's neck. He perked up too, and marched smartly down the trail...he LOATHES arenas, poor guy.

A pleasant evening, we didn't overdo it. His injury is nicely scabbed over, still a little puffy but not hot or draining. Looks like the farrier DIDN'T trim him yesterday, maybe he figured he didn't really need it. Fine, save me $30.

Tonight I'll just go bring the horse in & brush him & leave him in peace with his grain and hay. Was sure nice to see him yaaaawwwwning after the ride, LOL...it'd been 18 days since he'd been tired enough to yawn!

No comments: