Sunday, May 11, 2008

We Have Pus!

I'm worried now that I painted too rosy a picture for the Vet yesterday. Last night Coos' bandage had slid down, so half the wound was exposed & it looked pretty gross. Here I thought I was getting away with not having any HORSE PUS stories, LOL!!!

Took the leg wraps off & the opening was just full of, um, er...okay, pus. No heat or swelling or redness, so I took him down to the arena to lunge him. He wasn't nearly as frisky as in the morning, but he did drop & roll. Once we did our 20 minutes or so of exercise, I hosed down his leg (though the vet didn't say I had to do that any more). Just wanted to clean up the wound...well, the water pressure succeeded in knocking the pus plug loose and it sort of flopped out and hung on the wound edge like a yellow booger...couldn't knock it loose w/the water, so, GAAH, I had to pick it off and flicked it off into the grass like a piece of snot!

I was hungry but after fixing the horse, I lost all appetite!

I guess it's good that the pus is draining, right? I mean, all the cells inside the wound are dead, and they have to slough off and exit the wound site...right? As long as there's no swelling and inflammation? Right?

Quz was a different horse this morning, VERY sedate and depressed, but it's also very cloudy with rain coming, so maybe it's the weather. He had enough appetite when we went outside to graze (well, he grazed, I watched) but when I lunged him he barely mustered a jog trot. I could tell he wanted to roll, but Ironman the Corgi was running around us, so he didn't want to lie down with a "predator" so close (lol, little 20# Corgi vs 800# horse!). He actually WANTED to go back into the barn & I left him w/the remains of his breakfast & a clean stall.

The baby foal, named "Emily" after the gal who first discovered her the other day, is doing well, she was nursing this morning. Last night Quz was standing by his stall door waiting for me to open it, and Mama started charging and biting the WALL separating them! She knew he was on the other side & was protecting her baby, LOL!

Tonight I'll turn Quz out in the round pen for his official hour of turnout & maybe spend the time brushing Bob's sales horses or something. I'd love to groom up those bony Palominos, just cuz.


No comments: