Saturday, May 3, 2008

Day Two of Recovery


It's gonna be a long seven days of stall confinement for that horse. He is NOT happy being inside (unless there's food, then he's happy). Been doing our 20 minutes of hand-walking twice a day, this morning we were able to take a hike around an empty pasture which was full of hills and fresh green grass (and so much dew my socks got soaked even though I was wearing boots!). Took the bandage off yesterday & the owie looked very nice...pink and clean, and about 4" long w/a wider opening at the top where the puncture is...whatever poked him went in at an angle on the front of the joint, that's good...must have missed any/all bones. Swelling's gone down too!

Last night he got his 2nd Penicillin injection, thankfully I asked Bob to do it...the shotter is the size of a frickin' turkey baster w/a harpoon at the end (I swear, it's easily 1/3 cup of penicillin in that thing!). Quzqo wasn't having ANY of it, and he bounced off the walls of the stall like a pinball, with Bob and I doing a square dance trying to to be killed!!! He even managed to break the needle off the syringe...that' s when Bob left & came back w/an axe-handled rope twitch and one of the barn teens!

Poor Quzqo got his lip twitched (Bob threatened to use the other end on him if he didn't settle down...i.e. the axe handle, lol!) & the gal (she works there part time, quite experienced horsewoman) gave him the shot. When Bob released the twitch Quzqo dropped his head & continued chewing his hay like nothing had happened, LOL!

Unfortunately he gets one more shot tomorrow, and Bob said he'll just use the twitch in the first place. Poor Quzqo ...now I know why he runs away from Bob in the pasture, LOL!

I had to re-apply the bandage/leg wraps last night after I'd hosed his leg for 20 minutes, & I thought I did a pretty good job...until this morning I found him w/the bandage/leg wrap slid down his leg and his knee exposed to the universe! Arrrgh! It wasn't pretty pink, sort of a darker, dried blood color, but not puffy or inflamed. So after our hike in the pasture I redid the wraps using TWO quilted wraps (the vet did mention using two wraps, the lower to support the upper) & two polo wraps...he looked ridiculous, but hopefully it'll stay on 'til I get out there tonight to clean it & all.

No limp, he didn't eat his bute mash from last night, so I guess that's good that he's not limping because of the bute. Once he got his morning grain on top of the bute mash, THEN he ate it!

Thankfully I don't think it's going to be as bad as I feared, especially if it's just soft tissue damage & it doesn't get infected.

Above is a pic of Himself with his professionally- applied baby blue bandage. I won't take pix of him with anything I applied, LOL!

No comments: