Monday, May 12, 2008

Wild Horse!

Stopped at the barn on my way to work this morning, Quz managed to keep his bandage up all night long, so as a reward, I turned him loose in the indoor arena while I cleaned his stall!

He TORE off galloping, tearing around in small circles at the end with the open door to the outside, whinneying and snorting and bouncing around like he was at a Black Stallion audition! I ended up locking Bob's Corgis in a stall so they wouldn't chase after him & get him even more wound up!

When I finished the stall, I went out into the arena and got him galloping up and down and around the entire arena, ha! He TORE full flat gallop, tail flagging, muscles rippling, neck arched, he was BEAUTIFUL!

I think he's lost some weight, being confined to his stall. Makes sense...no grain, not being able to stuff his face at the round bale for 12 hours a day.

I'm also thinking...why CAN'T I ride him? He's obviously not lame in the least. Granted, after his crazy-Ayrab performance this morning, I don't know if I'd WANT to ride him, snark!

Of course after all that galloping and carrying on, his bandage had slipped down below his knee, so I had to re-bandage it, which was interesting because he was all hepped up and ready to do anything but stand quietly in the cross-ties! Wound is still draining, goody! Swelling's all but disappeared.

Mama Paint and Little Emily, as they've named the foal, were back in their stall...they spent yesterday out in a small side paddock. Guess Bob's taking them both down to a horse sale this weekend, kind of sad, but they really aren't set up for a mare and foal, and there's nobody there to spend the time socializing the baby really. Sure hope they get purchased by some good person who'll do right by them... I can too easily imagine Little Emily becoming the subject on a future FHOTD blog
installment about unhandled 2 yr olds.


No comments: